Monday 6 December 2010

My Lady in a state of undress

Well I've finally started to strip my Lady Carrie for a spray job. Only got one wing off so far but that wasn't easy as most of the coach bolts turned on themselves. I think there were 12 in total on the one wing and one of the headlamp brackets in particular proved really stubborn most had to be ground off and the awkward ones couldonly be reached with my Dremel which was really slow. Everything has been protected over the years by a liberal application of underseal which is fine except it is very messy to remove.
My intention is to paint the chassis and the suspension before she goes into the shop. Bonnet, rad shell, wings , doors, and front valance all need to come off and the interior stripped out again (At least I know everything fits) I'll have to refit the front wings temporarily for transport to and from the paint shop. I'm going all
stainless for the bolts and think I'll fit mushroom headed allen key bolts to hold the wings on. Sadly it will be a future owner no doubt who will reap the benefit.

Can't decide whether to use polished stainless coach bolts to replace the exposed ones (scuttle) or just have them painted. Would welcome your opinion likewise on colour
choice. She's either going to be Old English White of the old style Arden Green as used on this Rover P5 which is similar to my rather dusty Burago SS100
model. Anyway I've also taken a pic in my untidy garage showing "Lady Carrie" in a state of undress. First time I've really seen the chassis and front suspension. It's only had a quick wire brushing and a dose of gunk but all seems OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment