Wednesday 14 April 2010

Carisma won't start!

Well it does start now. I found the problem in the end. One of the wires from the ignition module had fractured. It should have been earthed (a brown wire!). The round earth terminal was hidden by two others at the same point and this is what confused me. As soon as I re-earthed it and turned the starter it fired up. Great relief all round. My fault for believing that it was earthed via the heat sink (doh!) and I spent ages cleaning it up with my dremel to get a good contact. At least it doesn't look quite as scruffy now. I eventually got the color codes from a man selling new ones on the internet - he talked himself out of a sale.

For the record if your sierra based car uses a Motorcraft 83BB12a199b3a095078 ignition module then the codes are as follows:
Brown - earth
Orange - distributor
Purple - distributor
White - tacho
Black - coil +
Green - coil -

It's running beautifully now - Phew!


No comments:

Post a Comment