Monday 31 May 2010

Hooray - rattle traced!


Ever since I got Carrie I have had an annoying rattle from the front end. I changed a few bushes in the front suspension which tightened things up but did not stop the noise. Last week I took her to my friendly exhaust centre who slightly realigned the pipe as it seemed to rattle against the chassis but, no this didn't resolve the problem.

I jacked her up at home and gave the suspension the once over again but - nothing. In desperation I tried rattling things by hand and lo and behold I found the source of the noise. Inside the radiator shell were mounted a pair of air horns on a very substantial steel plate. However the plate was mounted on a less substantial l-shaped bracket. When I had previously pulled it it seemed solid but on this occasion I pushed it and it swung like a pendulum (again, pulling it produced no movement!) the bracket had almost sheared so I removed it and relocated it and - silence.
What really surprised me though was the fact that the slightest bump produced a rattle and I drove the car very gingerly accordingly. Now I feel so much more confident. It neither feels nor sounds like a rattletrap any more and is a positive pleasure.

Took her to a show yesterday in Rickerby Park, Carlisle and she behaved faultlessly over the rough terrain even with three up (see pic)!

No comments:

Post a Comment