Monday 12 October 2009

Introduction


Hi
The idea for this blog came about because I discovered so many different Jaguar SS 100 'replicas' whilst searching for information on my own Carisma Century bought last year.
I would love to own a genuine Jaguar SS 100 but serious wealth seems to have eluded me and a 'replica' or something with similar looks is all I am likely to achieve. In fact, most 'replicas' started out as kits and even they were beyond my means back in the 80's and 90's when most of them were being made. Most of the companies making those kits are no longer with us or are not making them any more.

Suffolk Sportscars are one of the few survivors and are very much at the top end of the market. They have a superb product which faithfully reproduces a facsimile (at least appearancewise) of the original. Sadly they come with a hefty price tag that makes them almost as unlikely a choice for me as an original!

So a Carisma Century it was, with a 2.0 Ford Pinto engine and Cortina Mark V mechanicals. A very well used (but perhaps not so well cared-for) example came my way via EBay and is giving me huge amounts of pleasure.
From the old boy who ran an 'identical' one just after petrol rationing, to white van man "nice motor pal", to waves from children and even to the little boy in our street who after several admiring comments asked if I was perhaps a little mad (amazing perspicacity) it has been a pure pleasure to own.

Yes, I know it's not practical, I know it needs a lot of work, it's even got a dreaded 'Q" plate but I don't care. The fun element outweighs all the downsides and I doubt whether I would have had any more 'fun' with the genuine article. I certainly wouldn't have told the two little boys posing for their mum next to the car to "hop in and pretend to be driving if it had been an original or even a Suffolk.

Based as I am in Cumbria (UK) I don't run into fellow owners everyday but would love to hear from any.

4 comments:

  1. As an owner of a Carisma Engineering SS100 replica dated 1980. I feel I am in possession of a rare and valuable vehicle. I would have liked to own an original car and not a replica, but que sera. I really enjoy driving my SS100 and although I only have the Ford Pinto engine the pleasure of driving with the long bonnet and the two chromed headlights reflecting the clouds, is phenominal. Whenver I stop people crowd around to get a good look, and when driving on the Motorways it is really fun to have other drivers flash lights and give you the thumbs up sign. This vehicle has to be experienced and felt. This is a lady in red

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog John. I know you've tried to upload a photo unsuccessfully so if there is anyone reading this blogwho can advise John it would be really helpful. At the moment it is definitely a case of the blind leading the blind! In the meantime I will try to post a picture of John's lovely Lady in Red

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the photo, and starting a really good site for all owners to contact each other. I have seen Eagles, Dragons, Heritage, Suffolk's, Carisma, Panther's, Calis, Squire, and there are probably many more out there, looking for help, advice, spares, and ideas. This is the first site in many years where we as owners and keepers of heritage and history can ensure our children see a car that was so beautiful and is now so rare you generally only see them in museums, can feel and ride and enjoy this car even if they are only replicas, yet giving the same feel as the original. Yet although a replica our cars are getting to be old enough to be seen as a valuable asset and important enough for preservation. I look forward to hearing from other enthusiasts, have a good day to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the invitation to join the blog - new ground for me but looking good. I do not know how many Carisma owners there are out there but I seem to recall being told that there were only 14 or 16 kits made - so if true it's a pretty rare beast.
    The original Club as I mentioned before to Ocheye did purchase the moulds from the manufacturers when they went bust - we all donated £60- and they were stored somewhere presumably with one of the club members who had the space to do so. The ex club chairman, Ted Legg, probably knows where.
    Hopefully one day we'll run them to ground beacause they would be very useful to have.
    Regards To all.

    ReplyDelete