Thursday 29 October 2009

New dash for Carisma - Part Two

Phase 2 is well under way.
After a few disasters the new dash is taking shape. The surface has been rubbed down more than I care to think about and I'll have to watch that the veneer doesn't get too thin. I had a lot of problems with glue bleeding through the veneer and holes appearing mysteriously. Every time I filled them the filler either seemed to swell or to dip. I've now accepted that absolute perfection is probably not an option and that the natural flaws in the walnut are the features that make it interesting. It still needs to be lightly rubbed down (600 grade I reckon) and re-varnished another couple of times (I'm using a paint pad rather than a brush now and getting better results). I've got to allow 24 hrs between coats and it is frustrating resisting the temptation to tinker with it. I'll get another pic prior to installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment