Monday 26 October 2009

New dash for Carisma - part one

.
I finally had to bite the bullet as it has been bugging me since I bought the car. My old dash was awful. Damp had set in and swollen the mdf. The proportions were all wrong too though the felt tip guide to the controls had a certain home made charm. I bought a new set of TPI instruments from the US which should be easier to calibrate with my 16" wheels. I have 3 original Carisma gauges Speedo, Fuel and Temp (which are still available to order at reasonable cost from Speedy Cables) for sale if anyone needs them and also the ones from my old dash (Smiths - see pic).
I have made a new blank and with one major disaster behind me (the blade on the hole cutter snapped off and scored the face of the expensive blank - be warned - it's always the last hole!). I have now veneered the blank and I think it's going to look ok. I used the old dash to create a rough template and I numbered and removed all the cables behind the dash to reveal a huge bird's nest of wires.
It's going to be a mission putting them back as the new dash layout is a bit different from the old one but should be worth it. If any other owners are intending doing this job themselves I can supply a paper template if they wish. It
took me ages so I might as well pass on the knowledge to someone else. The next exciting instalment will follow (hopefully fairly soon!)


No comments:

Post a Comment